Welcome to mystery author, Beth Yarnall!
How do you take your coffee?
BETH: I drink hot coffee with half and half, no sugar. I like to add a flavored creamer to my iced coffee. Mmm, coffee.
Ally: Since the Midwest really hasn't embraced Spring weather yet, I'll pour you the hot version today. While I'm doing that, I know readers would love to read your bio, including something unusual you wouldn't normally include.
Best selling author, Beth Yarnall, writes mysteries, romantic suspense, and the occasional hilarious tweet. A storyteller since her playground days, Beth remembers her friends asking her to make up stories of how the person `died' in the slumber party game Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board, so it's little wonder she prefers writing stories in which people meet unfortunate ends. In middle school she discovered romance novels, which inspired her to write a spoof of soap operas for the school's newspaper. She hasn't stopped writing since.
For a number of years, Beth made her living as a hairstylist and makeup artist and owned a salon. Somehow hairstylists and salons seem to find their way into her stories. Beth lives in Southern California with her husband, two sons, and their dog where she is hard at work on her next novel.
Something unusual: I loooove Barbies and even have a small collection. The new Barbie collector's catalog just came and I drooled all over it. They're so pretty. There's even a Divergent Barbie and Ken with tattoos. Tattoos!
Author Contact links:
BETH: Cozy mysteries or 'cozies' are the gentler, funnier younger sis of crime fiction. There's no sex or if there is it occurs 'off stage'. Violence is downplayed. There's no guts and gore in cozies and strong language is kept to a minimum. Cozy mysteries are humorous and often feature a bumbling or amateur detective such as my character, Azalea March, who is a hair stylist turned detective. They're fun and funny and one of my favorite kind of books to read...and write.
Ally: Tell us about your main character and why you love her.
BETH: Azalea is a hairstylist and co-owner of a salon with her best friend. She's absolutely out of her element as an amateur detective. She's sweet and funny and is way more curious than is good for her. Azalea's into fashion, especially vintage clothing, and loves to create a different look for herself each day. She's the kind of girlfriend anyone would want to go to Vegas with for a wild weekend.
Ally: Do you have a writer's cave or someplace special where you do your creating?
BETH: I finally have my own desk for writing and it's set up just how I want it. Except that I need a new chair. That's next on the list. When I really need to buckle down and concentrate, like when I'm plotting out a new book, I like to go to a coffee shop with spotty wifi so I don't get distracted on social media. I love social media.
Ally: Do you plan to be writing ten years from now? Will it still be cozies? If not, what do you hope to be doing?
BETH: If my behind holds out that long, absolutely! Spreadous derriere-ous is a terrible, terrible thing.
I love writing and I love killing people...on paper. I may venture into contemporary romance, but my first love will always be mystery and suspense.
Ally: I'm addicted to quick answer questions, so here goes...
- Where did you go on your last vacation? My family and I went to Prescott, Arizona. My husband has family that lives in the area so we travel there a lot. On this last trip we went to Jerome and my Southern California kids got to play in the snow.
- Last movie you loved: This is a tough one because I don't get to the movies often. The last movie I saw was Frozen, which I enjoyed except for the singing and twirling princesses. I took my 11 year old son to see it and he complained endlessly that there were no princesses in the commercials so WHY were they in the movie? Thanks Disney.
- Favorite tv show: Now this is an easy question! Big Bang Theory, Mad Men, The Walking Dead, The Following, Sister Wives, Downton Abbey, Justified, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, True Blood, Lost Girl, Castle, Maury, The Dog Whisperer, Pit Bulls and Parolees, Say Yes to the Dress, I Found the Gown, Diners, Drive-ins & Dives, and just about anything on TLC. See, easy peasy.
- An item on your bucket list: I have about a dozen places in the world that I would love to visit. I love to travel, I just wish I had a ton of money to do more of it.
- Favorite hobby or pasttime: Watching TV? Hahaha, no. I love to go to antique swap meets and find interesting things to decorate my home. I even have a collection of barbed wire on my wall with labels that have the name of the wire and year it was made. Fun!
Hairstylist Azalea March is looking forward to a wild weekend in Las Vegas with her friends. Oh, sure, they’re supposed to be there on business, attending the biggest hair show on the west coast, but that doesn’t mean they can’t have a little fun. But fun quickly turns to drama. On the first morning of the show, Dhane, the biggest celeb of the hair-styling world, is found dead. As it urns out Azalea’s friend, Vivian, not only knew Dhane, but the tale she weaves of how they met is faker than a showgirl’s uh… assets. When Vivian confesses to the murder and is arrested, Azalea knows there’s no way she could have done it and suspects Vivian may be trying to protect someone. But who?
Azalea now has to convince Alex, the sexy detective from her past, to help her prove Vivian’s innocence and comb through clues more twisted than a spiral perm. But the truth is stranger than anything found on the Las Vegas Strip, and proving Vivian’s innocence turns out to be more difficult than transforming a brunette into a blonde.
Barnes & Noble- http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dyed-and-gone-beth-yarnall/1115438190?ean=9781622661237
Google Play- http://books.google.com/books/about/Dyed_and_Gone_An_Azalea_March_Mystery.html?id=stN1nAEACAAJ